Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ready, Set, Clean

So you will either hate me or thank me for giving you a little push to get your life in order. Not like I am a pro and my house always looks like the clean kitchen in the picture. Yes, it's my kitchen as of this moment, just minutes after I picked up a few things off of it to document this monumental accomplishment in my life. Yeah for me!!! It took me a month of starting, stopping, getting lost in the piles that had overgrown the edges of the island. But I finally did it. And while on Oprah's website today, I saw my favorite declutter guy (Peter Walsh) on there with more awesome information to help all of us busy people get our lives under control. He said "Clutter is Decisions Delayed". How true. Sometimes those delays are valid. There are too many reasons to list as to why we delay, but they are real challenges and sometimes cleaning the house comes in last for good reason. It's boring, aweful, and just not on the top of our priority list unless something is stinking. SO, after I had my victory today, I wanted to help out my friends with a little challenge.



After talking to my wonderful sister-in-law about how much we hate unloading the dishwasher and folding laundry (1 dark load), we decided to keep track of how many minutes it actually took us to do that particular job. Then maybe it wouldn't seem so bad. It was kind of funny when I actually was timing myself, trying to do it "normally" so I'd have an acurate idea. No rushing! So guess what? It only takes me about 5 minutes to do each of those. Try this and see how long it takes you!

So why was I complaining so much? Is 5 minutes really that bad to do something I don't like? I realize that delaying my decisions (like returning the wrapping paper to the basement, taking clothes up to the laundry room, etc) all only take minutes, and sometimes seconds.
I hope you realize I totally understand those days, months, or years when this is so not what you're interested in hearing. But if this is something you are wanting to work on improving, try timing yourself! I'd love to find out how long it takes you and whether it helps you to conquer those jobs we don't look forward to. Share your ideas, thoughts, things that work for you, etc. I hope you enjoy seeing my pile of unfolded laundry as proof that I have that waiting for me as I'm writing to you to do this. I look forward to hearing what you think of all this and would love to help each other out!

7 comments:

Krandma said...

Wow!! You are so good. I really like putting things off. I have gotten to be a pro. But when the mood strikes, and it does often. I can really get a lot done in a short time.
Thanks for the challenge. I'll see if I can get my little office and reading room clear of the clutter. Love you, Mom J

Anonymous said...

How funny, I watched that Oprah show too. The last two days we're been cleaning the toy room downstairs. We do it in 20 minute time slots. The kids have been great and I'm seeing some improvement. We're trying the "there's a place for everything". Right now the rest of the house is a mess because I've put it off this week, my excuse is that I wasn't feeling well.

Unknown said...

Now you have no excuses! Hahahahhahahahahah. You should watch shows like this on Oprah more often.

Love you so much,

Eric

Unknown said...

Getting that kitchen cleaned is quite an accomplishment, that island is a crap magnet -- good job!

traceyroxanne said...

What an inspiring challenge. Funny how as I type this, I too have laundry waiting. That's for sure my most dreaded task:Folding and putting away laundry. The girls' room upstairs is littered, not so much with toys but a traffic jam of clothes piles: too big, too cold, too stained, not quite ready for Sophie yet, pass it on to friends, pass it on to good will. . . Oh-and the biggest pile of all-stuff that has yet to be "decided." That was a brilliant explanation of why we have clutter--things we put off making decisions about. I hadn't ever thought of it that way, but it is exactly right. I'll see how long it takes to finish--thanks!

Chocolate Inspector said...

Yep, So Eric, that means you have no excuses either! lol Only 5 minutes! ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Oh wait, since you're in Iraq I guess I'll do it for 6 months. Then it's your turn, okay?!

Jenn said...

I loved your post. Thank you! I am definately one of those that leaves items on the steps to take up later. I will take on the challenge and let you know how it goes.